An extension of the SESAM - Simulator was developed for the AMEISE project. Involved in this project were the Faculty of Technical Sciences Klagenfurt, the Johannes Kepler University Linz and the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences. The simulator is the heart of the AMEISE - System.
To verify the achievement of learning objectives and to show trainees good and bad decisions and it’s consequences, the course of simulation runs has to be analyzed. These analyses are carried out after a simulation run by the instructor and cost a lot of time, because the instructor has to analyze the whole simulation run manually. Trainees can also perform analyses by using the AMEISE - Analyzing Tool.
|This expands the range of applications, because with AMEISE, the SESAM - Simulator can also be used for large courses or for self-study.|
Aims of AMEISE
With the extension of SESAM, the project AMEISE should provide following options:
- Allow a Self - Study
- It should be possible for trainees to perform a simulation run without supervision. Supervision means not only the support during a simulation run, but also the evaluation of a simulation run. Of course, this does not replace the interpretation of an instructor.
- Increase the Motivation of Trainees
- To increase the motivation of trainees, a comparison component was created, which allows to compare simulation runs.
- Reduction of Care Expenses
- Additional components to reduce the effort of the instructors should be developed. With this components students should be able to analyze their simulation runs by themselves.
- Performing partial Simulation Runs
- In some teaching situations, only parts of the simulation should be played. This is possible with AMEISE.
To achieve these goals, the existing prototype of the Universität Stuttgart was extended among other things by the following components:
- Implementation of an Explanation Component: To support the trainee during a simulation run.
- Implementation of a Comparison Component: To compare your own simulation runs to others.
- Implementation of an Evaluation Component: To analyze a simulation run or make analyses during a simulation run.
To do simulation runs, the system needs following requirements:
- Operating System: Windows (95 or later versions), Linux or Solaris
- Java JDK 1.4
- Hard disk space: 5 MB
- Network connection
Additionally, the AMEISE - Client has to be installed locally: >> Download the AMEISE - Client
|Please note: To do simulation runs, the computer has to be connected to the AMEISE - Server.|