In the project AMEISE an extension of the SESAM-simulator was developed. Involved in this project are the university Klagenfurt, the university Linz and the FH Klagenfurt. The simulator is the core of the AMEISE-system.
To verify the achievement of learning objectives and to show trainees good and bad decisions and it’s consequences, the course of the simulation run has to be analyzed. These analyzes are carried out after the simulation run by the tutor and cost a lot of time, because the tutor has to analyze the whole simulation run manually. With the AMEISE-analyzing tool analyzes can also be performed by the trainee himself.
|This expands the range of applications, because with AMEISE the SESAM-Simulator can also be used for large courses or for self-study.|
Aims of AMEISE
With the extension of SESAM, the project AMEISE should provide following options:
- Allow a self-study
- The trainees should be made possible to perform a simulation run without supervision. Supervision means not only the support during the simulation run, but also the evaluation of the simulation run. Of course, this does not replace the interpretation of a tutor.
- Increase the motivation of the trainees
- To increase the motivation of the trainees, a comparison component was created, which allows to compare simulation runs.
- Reduction of care expenses
- Additional components to reduce the effort of the tutors should be developed. With it, students should be able to analyze their simulation runs by themselves.
- Performing partial simulation runs
- In some teaching situations, only parts of the simulation should be played. This is possible with AMEISE.
To achieve these goals, the existing prototype of the university Stutgart was extended among other things by the following components:
- Implementation of an explanation component: To support the trainee during a simulation run.
- Implementation of a comparison component: To compare your own simulation runs to others.
- Implementation of an evaluation component: To analyze the simulation run or make analyzes during a simulation run.
To run the simulation, the system needs following requirements:
- Operating System: Windows (95 or later versions), Linux or Solaris
- Java JDK 1.4
- Hard disk space: 5 MB
- Network connection
Additionally, the AMEISE-client has to be installed locally: >> Download the AMEISE-Client
|Please note: To run a simulation, the computer of the trainee has to be connected to the AMEISE-server.|